Gifts of stock or securities can be beneficial to the Rocky Mountain MS Center and may help you with necessary strategies for your investments. When you donate stock, the current value of that investment is deductible as a charitable donation. This can allow you to avoid taxes associated with capital gains from simply selling your shares conventionally. The RMMSC benefits from your donation, and you’re able to claim the full value as a deduction instead of paying taxes on your investment.
The benefits of donating stock
- Avoid capital gains tax: Gifting stock avoids federal capital gains tax, and most donors can also claim an income tax deduction for the stock’s full market value (state & local income tax deductions may also be available in some areas).
- Make a bigger impact: When you give appreciated stocks directly to charity, your gift can be up to 20% larger because you avoid the taxes, you’d incur from selling and donating the cash. This means more money going to the work that you support.
- It’s quick and easy: Whether you want to do it yourself or get help from your financial advisor, donating stock can take as little as ten minutes.
How it works
- Select which securities to donate: You’ll need your brokerage name, account number, stock name, and the number of shares you want to donate. Donors generally incur the greatest tax benefit when donating appreciated stock that has been held for more than a year. Please contact your brokerage if you have any questions.
- Submit a request to transfer the securities: Request a form from your brokerage company and be sure to use the Rocky Mountain MS Center’s Tax ID Number 84-0795455
- Contact Sarah Heil, Development Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (303) 788-4030 ext. 145 for the Depository Trust Company (DTC) number and account numbers for wire transfers.