KADEP appreciates the time and dedication volunteers offer our clients and our program. Volunteers and interns are essential in every facet of our operation, from assisting with clerical duties and facilitating activity groups, to partnering participants in the Hydrotherapy program.
KADEP: A Home Away From Home
Volunteering at KADEP
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Providing project assistance with individual clients
- Partnering participants in the hydrotherapy pool
- Assisting with community outings
- Assisting with meal service
- Sharing your computer knowledge and skills
- Helping with special seasonal projects (like gardening)
- Sharing information in other areas of specialty
We welcome your ideas and input!
Recreational Therapy Internships
Come complete your formal education process in Colorado, working in a model Specialized Adult Day program for younger adults with neurological disabilities. The program offers a thorough and challenging experience for student interns interested in experiencing a clinical model, community based program. The program is directed by NCTRC certified recreational therapists. The program operates weekdays, so your evenings and weekends are free to enjoy the abundant opportunities Colorado provides.
Beginning in Fall semester 2022, we’re excited to announce that KADEP is able to provide interns with some paid compensation, as well as housing assistance. Please contact us during your application process for more information.
Click here for a sample from the internship manual including weekly assignments.
Purpose of the KADEP Recreational Therapy Internship
The Recreational Therapy Internship benefits the student, the profession, KADEP, and the program participants. For the student, this benefit lies in the opportunity to have practical experience in a setting which is providing established professional therapeutic recreation services. The internship experience is designed to correspond to the student’s educational level, previous experience and professional goals. The internship augments formal classroom learning experiences and provides an opportunity for the student to apply theory and practical skills. The student experience is also designed to develop entry level competencies for a recreational therapy service position.
Goals of the Rocky Mountain MS Center KADEP Student Internship Program
- Provide students with the opportunity to practice skills learned in the classroom.
- Promote the expansion of knowledge gained in the academic setting.
- Facilitate the student’s refinement of interpersonal skills and development of work attitudes.
- Provide feedback of on-the-job performance with the purpose of guiding the student towards improved effectiveness.
- Provide role models for clinical Recreational Therapy treatment.
- Serve as a transition from the role of student to the role of Therapeutic Recreation Specialist.
- Prepare the student for an entry-level position in the field of Therapeutic Recreation.
Student Application Process
Any students interested in an internship at KADEP should submit the following form:Apply Now!
Additional information to be considered (optional uploads using the form above):
- A letter of interest
- Current University Transcript
- Letter of Recommendation
The internship coordinator will set up an interview by phone or in person with qualified candidates. Potential interns must have completed their core Therapeutic Recreation courses with a minimum of a 3.0 grade-point average in those courses. Qualified candidates must also meet all other eligibility requirements to sit for certification with NCTRC.
The internship coordinator will notify the selected students at least 8 weeks prior to the start date of the internship. Prior to the actual start date, all contracts must be completed and signed by all parties. Additionally, the student must provide evidence of the following:
- Current CPR certificate
- Current First Aid certificate
- Proof of Hepatitis B Vaccination
- Proof of a recent TB test
- Proof of Professional Liability Insurance & Proof of current health insurance
Recreational Therapy Internship Sessions
(slight changes possible subject to annual calendar)
- 1st Monday in January through mid April
- Application Deadline: October 15
- 1st Monday in May through mid August
- Application Deadline: February 15
- Tuesday after Labor Day (September) through mid December
- Application Deadline: June 15